We all know the saying “When it rains, it pours.” But sometimes, GOOD things come in clumps, too! Take today where:
- A new stove arrived to replace the old one which was leaking gas
- I had the free time to bake up a storm
- I learned that yet another of my cartoons has been accepted for publication – this time by a magazine in the UK!
In case you’re interested, I adapted the recipe for the pumpkin chocolate loaf (and muffins) from this Taste of Home recipe. My substitutions were as follows:
- Instead of 3 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour, I used 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour + 3/4 cup almond flour + 1/4 cup coconut flour + 1 cup Cassava flour.
- Instead of 3 cups sugar, I used 1 1/3 cups coconut sugar + 1 cup protein powder
- Instead of 1 cup sliced almonds, I added in a handful of chopped crystallized ginger
I don’t have two loaf pans, so I made one loaf and then divided the remaining batter between 12 muffin tins. I baked the muffins for about 21 minutes (test at about the 18 minute mark to see if a toothpick comes out clean). The loaf took about an hour to cook – less time than the recipe calls for, but I was baking in a glass loaf pan. I glazed the loaf with royal icing made from confectioner’s sugar mixed with a little almond extract and some water.
P.S. My recipe for cartoons? Practice, practice, practice and don’t lose patience!