Tag Archives: present
As many of you know, I’m a big believer in the concept of honoring abundance over scarcity in my approach to how I run my business. To begin with, I’d rather share my work publicly with others, than worry about who might want to rip off my ideas. I figure that 1) my work is always “in progress” as I learn and grow 2) if I can inspire someone to pursue their own creativity and find their own voice, we’ll both be enriched, and, 3) if someone wants to buy my artwork or designs, all the better!
(Please check out my latest designs and prints at A Talent for Design at Etsy)
I also donate a percentage of all of my earnings from the business to my favorite charity, FINCA, whose mission is to provide financial services to the world’s lowest-income entrepreneurs so they can create jobs, build assets and improve their standard of living.
Oddly enough, even though I’ve instinctively always felt good about sharing what I create with others, I’ve realized that I don’t always behave so magnanimously in my personal life. To be honest, sometimes I feel acute scarcity and begrudge other people what they have. I get caught up in the “life isn’t fair!” mantra because it’s easier to blame “life” than admit that I’ve had a hand in how it is all unfolding.
Dolt! What’s wrong with this picture?
So, while I’m not going to pretend that I have all the answers or that any of the points below are my unique insights, I’ve done a little soul searching lately to remind myself of these important concepts:
- Dwelling on what others have and what you don’t, IS a recipe for unhappiness
- You can’t shut off your envious or jealous thoughts, but you can, little by little, learn to re-frame them
- Paying attention to your breathing – or doing something positive for your body, like yoga – can help you to get out of your head and back into the here and now of your body
- Focusing on what makes you truly happy – what you want to get out of bed for in the morning (in my case, creating and sharing beauty with others) – redirects your energy in a much more positive way, which will in turn give you a chance to get closer to your dreams
- Reaching out to help others will also put a better perspective on the riches in your own life
- When all else fails, a good gab with a trusted friend can help to put things into a little better perspective